whatsapp

Trump Orders Chinese-Controlled Firm to Unwind U.S. Chip Deal

  • 0
  • 310
/media/Trump_Orders_Chinese-Controlled_Firm_to_Unwind_U.S._Chip_Deal.webp © Trump Orders Chinese-Controlled Firm to Unwind U.S. Chip Deal

Washington — U.S. President Donald Trump has ordered a company controlled by a Chinese national to reverse its acquisition of semiconductor assets from a U.S. firm, citing concerns related to national security and sensitive chip technology.

The decision was announced through an executive order issued by the White House on Friday. The order directs HieFo Corporation, a Delaware-incorporated company controlled by a citizen of China, to divest chip-related assets it acquired from U.S.-based Emcore in April 2024. The deal was valued at approximately $2.9 million.

According to the U.S. Treasury Department, the transaction involved digital chips along with wafer design, fabrication, and processing operations, including access to a semiconductor manufacturing facility. Officials said the deal raised concerns about foreign access to critical semiconductor technology and expertise.

U.S. authorities also flagged risks linked to indium phosphide chips, a material used in advanced communication systems, navigation equipment, and defense-related technologies. The Treasury Department warned that shifting the supply or technical knowledge of these chips away from the United States could pose security risks.

The department said the acquisition was not submitted for prior review to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). As a result, the deal was later examined by CFIUS through its non-notified transactions process.

“CFIUS identified national security risks related to potential access to Emcore’s intellectual property, proprietary know-how, and technical expertise,” the Treasury Department said.

Under the order, HieFo must divest all acquired assets within 180 days and immediately restrict access to Emcore’s technical information.

Neither HieFo nor Emcore responded immediately to requests for comment.

Chinese state-linked outlet Global Times criticized the decision, saying it reflected Washington’s growing concern over technology competition with China and lacked sufficient justification.

HieFo had earlier stated that the acquisition would allow continued operations at Emcore’s facility in California and that most key employees had been retained.

Emcore manufactures navigation and sensing equipment used in commercial, industrial, and defense applications. The company was delisted from Nasdaq in early 2025 following its merger with aerospace firm Velocity One LP.

The move highlights increased U.S. scrutiny of foreign investments in sensitive technology sectors, particularly semiconductors, amid ongoing U.S.-China tensions.

Related Posts
© Copper Powers Profit Surge at Australia’s BHP

Copper Powers Profit Surge at Australia’s BHP

Sydney - Australian mining giant BHP reported a strong rise in half-year profit on Tuesday, driven largely by growing global demand for copper as countries expand power grids and renewable energy infr...

  • 109
© OpenClaw Creator Peter Steinberger Joins OpenAI, Altman Confirms

OpenClaw Creator Peter Steinberger Joins OpenAI, Altman Confirms

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman has announced that Austrian software developer Peter Steinberger, creator of the viral AI agent OpenClaw, is joining the company....

  • 126
© Venezuela Oil Sales Surpass $1 Billion as U.S. Shifts Funds from Qatar to Treasury Account

Venezuela Oil Sales Surpass $1 Billion as U.S. Shifts Funds from Qatar to Treasury Account

Revenue from Venezuela’s oil exports has exceeded $1 billion under U.S. oversight, with proceeds no longer routed through a Qatar-based account, according to U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright....

  • 138
© Xiaomi’s Electric SUV Tops China Sales in January, Beats Tesla Model Y

Xiaomi’s Electric SUV Tops China Sales in January, Beats Tesla Model Y

Beijing - Xiaomi’s electric SUV, the YU7, ranked first in China by monthly vehicle sales in January, overtaking Tesla’s Model Y, according to data released by the China Passenger Car Association....

  • 151
© Largest U.S. Auto Dealer Holds Off on Chinese Brands

Largest U.S. Auto Dealer Holds Off on Chinese Brands

The chief executive of Lithia Motors said the company does not plan to sell Chinese automotive brands in the United States in the near term, citing structural and financial barriers rather than politi...

  • 150
© Salesforce employees urge CEO Benioff to drop ICE-related business

Salesforce employees urge CEO Benioff to drop ICE-related business

San Francisco: More than 1,400 employees at Salesforce have signed a letter urging Chief Executive Officer Marc Benioff to cancel potential business dealings with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enfo...

  • 159
© French Central Bank Governor Resigns Early, Macron to Name Successor

French Central Bank Governor Resigns Early, Macron to Name Successor

The Governor of the Bank of France, François Villeroy de Galhau, has announced his early resignation, which will take effect in June 2026, the bank confirmed on Monday....

  • 162
© Union Budget 2026–27 Signals Policy Clarity, Fiscal Balance and Long-Term Economic Vision

Union Budget 2026–27 Signals Policy Clarity, Fiscal Balance and Long-Term Economic Vision

New Delhi: India’s Union Budget for 2026–27 has laid out a measured and forward-looking roadmap aimed at sustaining economic momentum while strengthening long-term fundamentals. Presented at a time of...

  • 171
© Bitcoin Rebounds Above $70,000 After Sharp Sell-Off Triggers Volatile Turnaround

Bitcoin Rebounds Above $70,000 After Sharp Sell-Off Triggers Volatile Turnaround

New York: Bitcoin rebounded sharply on Friday, climbing back above the $70,000 level just a day after coming close to breaking below $60,000, as traders stepped back into risk assets following a turbu...

  • 166
© India Ready to Buy Up to $80 Billion in Boeing Aircraft After U.S. Trade Pact

India Ready to Buy Up to $80 Billion in Boeing Aircraft After U.S. Trade Pact

India is prepared to place aircraft orders worth up to $80 billion with Boeing, following the announcement of a new trade framework between New Delhi and Washington, according to India’s Commerce and ...

  • 184
Commnets 0
Leave A Comment